Saturday, March 27, 2010

Chapter Twelve: Vampireness is next to godliness.

Remember last chapter, when Jacob's dad was totally going to bust Bella for consorting with evil undead creatures?

It never happened. You see, he's one of those tribal elders who doesn't like to get involved when his friend's daughter is dating a vampire that, I remind you, he completely and totally believes really is a very dangerous vampire. I understand staying out of other peoples' business, but a quick "hey, that guy moves really fast, and also might eat Bella" seems prudent.

Alas, that would require something dramatic to happen, and that's not the Meyer way. Bella does get a cryptic line from Mr. Black that vaguely resembled a warning, but the situation never goes anywhere, as usual.

But none of that "drama" stuff is important anyway. What this chapter is really about is Bella and Edward's big day! The weather is nice, which means Edward can finally show Bella what happens when vampires get out in the sun. These ones don't die, you see. They...well, best to save that for when it actually happens.

During her time with Edward, Bella mentions that Edward is perfect. Not good, not amazing, but PERFECT. To be fair, she occasionally chooses other ways to describe him too. Words and phrases that totally aren't synonyms for perfect, such as "godlike," "perfection," or "TOO perfect." This makes Bella think she isn't good enough for Edward -- even though, as we've already seen, she's waaaay too good for anyone else.

Bella and Edward talk during their time together. They have a pretty repetitive script they go through every time they have a conversation:

BELLA: "Why could you possibly want me, when you are so perfect?"
EDWARD: "You are fascinating. But you should stay away from me, I'm dangerous!"
BELLA: "But I can't!"
EDWARD: "But you must!"
BELLA: "But I can't resist your perfectness!"
EDWARD: "And I can't stay away from you."
BELLA: "Then I guess we're stuck together. Also, I'm in love with you."
EDWARD: "Be careful, I might eat you. Let's hang out again tomorrow."

Instead of going to Seattle, Edward takes Bella to a secluded spot where he likes to go when the weather is nice. It's deep in the woods, a golden meadow where the sunlight can shine through. A perfectly round meadow with a nearby stream and colorful flowers and probably lots of happy woodland animals with smiles on their faces. It's the most beautiful thing Bella has ever seen...until she remembers Edward a few seconds later.

And then she realizes he's going to step into the sun, where he'll...well, that's the next chapter. Oh boy.

I'm discontinuing the "Will to Continue" feature -- I'm still working out the kinks in this blog, and that's just a little too gimmicky. I wasn't sure how much material these books would give me on a consistent basis, but it has become perfectly clear that there's plenty here to support this blog without any added silliness on my part. Seriously, the next chapter is going to be pretty amazing, and I've only read the first two paragraphs so far. Besides, this is getting so bad that I don't just have a will to continue, I feel like I MUST continue. See you after the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment