Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chapter isn't good, just a little repetitive.

Just finished chapter two of Twilight. The most exciting thing to happen in this chapter? There was snow, and some of the kids had a snowball fight. But then it started raining again, just in time to slow down the drama before this book spun completely out of control.

Bella isn't very sympathetic at all. She's obnoxiously smug and superior -- "oh, I've already read Wuthering Heights! I did this lab last year!" -- and since this book is in the first person, I have to assume she's telling us the story in exactly the manner she wants to. If that's the case Bella, why do you think I want to hear you go on about your boring science lab for page after page? Will the next one be prophase or anaphase? I hope you tell me soon, my heart can't take this tension!

Some facts are becoming quite clear, because Stephenie Meyer has gone out of her way to make sure Bella recounts them over and over again.

  • The Cullens are somewhat attractive.
  • Bella is not good at gym.
  • Boys are incredibly nice to Bella, despite her personality.
  • Bella is super duper smart, way too good for these rural hicks.
I can't wait to read the next chapter. Maybe it'll have more exciting grocery shopping and email answering scenes!!

Banality Index: 14 (+8)
Bella is way better than anyone except for those beautiful, beautiful Cullens -- I get it. Now, 20 more pages of Bella going through an average day of high school! Snooooze.

Writing Quality: 44 (-3)
Meh, let's be honest: the expectations aren't high here. It's been bad so far, but not any more than the vast majority of books that get published and never become popular. Much like Dan Brown's work, if Twilight had never come to the attention of a huge audience, it's not like it would have been picked out of the crowd as an example of especially shitty writing or anything. So far the writing is just...bland and uninspired, like Meyer felt like she had to write something before she could get to the good parts. I can sympathize with that. But it also means that nothing stands out as particularly good or bad, yet.

Will To Continue: 99 (+1)
Actually, this chapter was easier to get through than the first. It was boring, but I think I developed some tolerance after my first dose of "mopey girl goes to school." If it doesn't get any worse than this, I'm home free.

But that's a big if...

No comments:

Post a Comment